Proposal for a COUNCIL REGULATION on establishing the European High Performance Computing Joint Undertaking
The European Commission (EC) is proposing a Council Regulation to establish a public-private partnership in the form of a Joint Undertaking (JU) to procure and deploy new High Performance Computing (HPC) infrastructure. Specifically, the JU will aim to acquire two HPC systems with pre-exascale performance and support the development of exascale performance systems by 2022-2023. Exascale performance is defined as machines capable of a billion-billion calculations per second, with pre-exascale machines operating at around 20-50% of this capability.
HPC technology is essential to Europe’s scientific capability, innovation capacity and industrial competitiveness. It has applications across all scientific disciplines, for example in the early detection of diseases, forecasting climate evolution, national security and increasing the efficiency of industrial processes.
The EC states that current European-HPC infrastructure does not meet the needs of scientists and industry and researchers are increasingly reliant on non-EU technology for data processing. This carries risks to the protection of personal and sensitive data. To mitigate this risk the EC is proposing to build its own supercomputer infrastructure with enough capacity for European users.
Although the UK is one of the world leaders in this field (both in science research and use by industry) the EU and its Member States (MS) generally invest less in HPC technology compared to other leading nations such as the USA, China and Japan. Currently the EU has no supercomputers listed in the world’s top ten.
The EC is proposing a new legal and funding structure – the EuroHPC JU. This JU is designed to facilitate the necessary collaboration for Europe to deploy new HPC infrastructure and eliminate reliance on non-EU technologies.
- 17 April 2018 Gyimah-Boswell - 101 KB - pdf
- 18 June 2018 Gyimah-Boswell - 49 KB - pdf
- 18 June 2018 Gyimah-Cash - 49 KB - pdf
- 21 June 2018 Boswell-Gyimah - 194 KB - pdf
- 22 October 2018 Gyimah - Boswell - 99 KB - pdf
- 22 October 2018 Gyimah - Cash - 98 KB - pdf
- 26 March 2018 Gyimah-Cash - 117 KB - pdf
- 3 September 2018 Gyimah-Boswell - 95 KB - pdf
- 3 September 2018 Gyimah-Cash - 95 KB - pdf
- Document 5282/18 - 1 MB - pdf
- Document 5282/18 Add 1 - 421 KB - pdf
- Document 5282/18 Add 2 - 428 KB - pdf
- Document 5282/18 Add 3 - 1 MB - pdf
- Document 5282/18 Add 4 - 1 MB - pdf
- Document 5282/18 Add 5 - 867 KB - pdf
- Document 5282/18 Add 6 - 734 KB - pdf
- EM 5282/18 - 297 KB - pdf