Proposal for a REGULATION OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL on the implementation and functioning of the .eu Top Level Domain name and repealing Regulation (EC) No 733/2002 and Commission Regulation (EC) No 874/2004
1. The proposal and the associated documents set out a new regulatory framework at EU level for the management of the .eu Internet country code Top Level Domain (ccTLD) for which the EU has public policy responsibility. It implements recommendations made following an open review conducted by the European Commission which identified deficiencies in the current regulatory framework. This comprises two legal instruments (Regulation (EC) No 733/2002 and Commission Regulation (EC) No 874 /2004) which will be repealed by this Regulation.
2. The .eu TLD was established by regulation in April 2002 as the domain name of the EU and its citizens. In March 2005 it was delegated into the global domain name system for Internet addressing by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) which manages the global Internet addressing system. The .eu TLD was formally launched in April 2006 with the UK Government’s support as a complementary TLD for EU-based citizens and businesses alongside the existing country code TLDs in the Member States (such as .uk, .fr and .de) and the approximately 20 generic global TLDs being actively marketed at that time (such as .com and .net which dominated the market).
3. Consistent with the objectives of the Digital Single Market strategy, a key aim of the .eu TLD was to accelerate e-commerce by improving the interoperability of European online networks through creating a single, trusted European digital namespace and identifier in the Internet’s addressing system.
4. The .eu TLD functions well and has grown to be the eighth largest ccTLD in the world with over 3.7 million registrations, including 317,000 registrations (9%) by UK-based citizens, businesses and other organisations. The .eu TLD is used by all the
- 16 January 2019 James - Cash - 191 KB - pdf
- 16 January 2019 James-Boswell - 191 KB - pdf
- 19 October 2018 James-Boswell - 194 KB - pdf
- 19 October 2018 James-Cash - 285 KB - pdf
- 25 July 2018 James-Cash - 195 KB - pdf
- 8468/18 - 503 KB - pdf
- 8468/18 + Add 1 - 744 KB - pdf
- 8468/18 + Add 2 - 2 MB - pdf
- 8468/18 + Add 3 - 1 MB - pdf
- 8468/18 + Add 4 - 3 MB - pdf
- 8468/18 + Add 5 - 362 KB - pdf
- 8468/18 + Add 6 - 360 KB - pdf
- EM 8468/18 - 137 KB - pdf