Proposal for a REGULATION OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL establishing Horizon Europe – the Framework Programme for Research and Innovation, laying down its rules for participation and dissemination
1. On 7 June 2018, the European Commission published its draft proposals for Horizon Europe - the ninth EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation (R&I) that will run from 2021-2027. This is a financial programme and forms part of the wider Multiannual Financial Framework (MFF).
2. On the 2nd of May, the Commission published several documents covering its proposal for the 2021-2027 MFF. The proposed EU Budget is split into seven headings. Heading 1 - “Single Market, Innovation and Digital”, contains nearly all areas of BEIS Science and Innovation interests, including Horizon Europe (€97.6bn or £85.6bn)1 and Euratom R&T (€2.4bn or £2.1bn)1.
3. This EM covers the draft proposal for the Horizon Europe Regulation only but the financial amounts contained within the proposal link back to the Commission’s MFF proposal. This EM therefore should be read in conjunction with the HMT EM covering the Commission’s Proposal for a COUNCIL REGULATION laying down the multiannual financial framework for the years 2021 to 2027.
Structure of the Programme
4. The Horizon 2020 text separated out the rules for participation and dissemination into two texts whereas the proposed text for Horizon Europe combines both into one legal act. Whilst this simplifies the text, the change means that the text looks quite different to the current Horizon 2020 (established by Council Regulation 1291/2013 in December 2013) regulation.
5. The proposal retains the three-pillar structure of the previous Framework Programme. However, there are changes to the titles and content of each pillar to align with priorities of: supporting creation and diffusion of high-quality knowledge and technologies; addressing global challenges; and fostering innovation.
- 15 October 2018 Gyimah - Boswell - 135 KB - pdf
- 6 November 2018 Gyimah-Boswell - 133 KB - pdf
- 6 November 2018 Gyimah-Cash - 134 KB - pdf
- 7 January 2019: Skidmore - Boswell - 124 KB - pdf
- 7 January 2019: Skidmore - Cash - 191 KB - pdf
- 9865/18 - 870 KB - pdf
- 9865/18 + Add 1 - 472 KB - pdf
- 9865/18 + Add 2 - 2 MB - pdf
- 9865/18 + Add 3 - 3 MB - pdf
- 9865/18 + Add 4 - 2 MB - pdf
- 9865/18 + Add 5 - 416 KB - pdf
- 9865/18 + Add 6 - 863 KB - pdf
- EM 9865/18 - 642 KB - pdf