Proposal for a DIRECTIVE OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL amending Council Directive 93/13/EEC of 5 April 1993, Directive 98/6/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council, Directive 2005/29/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council and Directive 2011/83/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council as regards better enforcement and modernisation of EU consumer protection rules
1. This Explanatory Memorandum (EM) reports on the European Commission’s publication of its new package of legislative measures: the ‘New Deal for Consumers’, which was released on 11 April 2018. It also reports on the Commission's Communication to the European Parliament, European Council and the European Economic and Social Committee on the New Deal, which was published alongside the legislative proposals.
2. The Communication highlights the Commission’s ambitions for the New Deal for Consumers. Through this package, the Commission is focused on ensuring EU consumers’ rights are championed across the Union, and that international cooperation with non-EU countries is increased.
3. The Communication reinforces that whilst European consumer law has delivered significant benefits to citizens in their daily lives - for example through flagship pieces of EU law governing passenger rights, unfair commercial practices and unfair contract terms - more must be done to ensure that the single market is truly fair for consumers into the future. Consumer expenditure currently accounts for 56% of EU GDP . The Commission considers that strong consumer law which can be enforced effectively across the Union is therefore vital for economic growth.
4. The New Deal for Consumers is the culmination of a range of activity undertaken by the Commission to evaluate and consult on European consumer law between 2015 and 2018. It takes as its basis the ‘Regulatory Fitness’ (REFIT) review of European consumer and marketing law and the parallel review of the Consumer Rights Directive (CRD), both of which reported in 2017, as well as its 2018 Report on the implementation of the 2013 Recommendation on Collective Redress (on which the Department published EM 6043/18 in March 2018).
- 26 June 2018 Griffiths-Boswell - 156 KB - pdf
- 26 September 2018 Tolhurst - Cash - 449 KB - pdf
- 4 September 2018 Tolhurst-Boswell - 130 KB - pdf
- 6 November 2018 Tolhurst-Boswell - 230 KB - pdf
- 7876/18 - 679 KB - pdf
- 7876/18 + Add 1 - 1 MB - pdf
- 7876/18 + Add 2 - 3 MB - pdf
- 7876/18 + Add 3 - 2 MB - pdf
- 7876/18 + Add 4 - 407 KB - pdf
- EM 7876/18 - 951 KB - pdf