Proposal for a COUNCIL REGULATION establishing the Research and Training Programme of the European Atomic Energy Community for the period 2021-2025 complementing Horizon Europe – the Framework Programme for Research and Innovation
2 EM produced by BEIS and one by DCMS.
1. The documents are draft proposals for (1) a Council regulation establishing the Euratom R&T programme for 2021-25 and (2) a Council decision amending the decision that established the European Joint Undertaking for ITER (Fusion for Energy, F4E) . The proposed date of application for both proposals is from 1 January 2021.
2. The Euratom R&T Programme is the main programme that supports and funds nuclear research at European level. The current programme, running from 2014-18 , funds research in both nuclear fusion and nuclear fission.
i. For fusion research, the UK Atomic Energy Authority receives around €65m (£56m) per year for the Joint European Torus (JET) operating contract and for other fusion research and training.
ii. For nuclear fission research, UK organisations have been allocated on average €4.4 million (£3.8m) per year in funding between 2014 and 2017.
iii. Through participation in the programme, UK organisations and researchers have access to collaborative research programmes funded by Euratom, providing access to facilities and expertise, including those of the EU's Joint Research Centre (JRC).
3. The International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) is an international scientific undertaking that aims to be the first fusion reactor to produce net energy, i.e. produce more energy that it consumes. It is currently under construction in France. It is funded by 7 parties: the EU, USA, Japan, South Korea, China, Russia and India. The EU, as the host party for ITER, is responsible for 45% of the construction costs, of which 80% is funded from the EU budget and 20% by France.
- 25 September 2018 Gyimah - Boswell - 211 KB - pdf
- 25 September 2018 Gyimah - Cash - 134 KB - pdf
- 9871/18 - 780 KB - pdf
- 9871/18 + Add 1 - 439 KB - pdf
- 9871/18 + Add 2 - 2 MB - pdf
- 9871/18 + Add 3 - 3 MB - pdf
- 9871/18 + Add 4 - 2 MB - pdf
- 9871/18 + Add 5 - 415 KB - pdf
- 9871/18 + Add 6 - 862 KB - pdf
- EM 9871/18 - 603 KB - pdf