Proposal for a COUNCIL DECISION on the position to be taken on behalf of the European Union at the 55th session of the Organisation for International Carriage by Rail Committee of Experts for the Carriage of Dangerous Goods as regards certain amendments to Appendix C to the Convention concerning International Carriage by Rail as applicable from 1 January 2019
1. The objective of this proposed Council Decision is to establish the European Union’s position at the OTIF Committee of Experts on the Transport of Dangerous Goods (RID expert committee), at its meeting on 30 May 2018. The proposal is accompanied by an Annex which sets out the proposed amendments to the technical and administrative provisions which are to be decided by the Committee of Experts.
2. The Commission proposes that the EU position should be in accordance with the Annex to the proposed Decision, and that minor changes to the documents mentioned in the Annex may be agreed by the representatives of the Union without further decision of the Council. The proposed amendments are technical in nature and are intended to increase harmonisation and improve safety, for example by:
• introducing step by step guidance for those responsible for filling and emptying liquefied gas tank-wagons;
• introducing verification procedures so that maintenance and repair shops, in addition to manufacturers, must have their ability to perform welding operations in accordance with RID confirmed; and
• taking account of amendments to its equivalent for the road mode (ADR) so that unnecessary inconsistencies do not occur.