Proposal for a COUNCIL DECISION on the position to be adopted, on behalf of the European Union, within the Joint Committee established by the Regional Convention on pan-Euro-Mediterranean preferential rules of origin as regards the request of Ukraine to become a Contracting Party to that Convention ADD 1 ANNEX to the Proposal Above
1. The Regional Convention on pan-Euro-Mediterranean preferential rules of origin ('the Convention') lays down provisions on the origin of goods traded under relevant Agreements concluded between the Contracting Parties.
2. In doing so, it creates trade opportunities and promotes regional integration, spanning a geographical area from Norway to Morocco.
3. Article 5(1) of the Convention provides that a third party may become a Contracting Party to the Convention, provided that the candidate country has a free trade agreement in force with at least one of the Contracting Parties. Wishing to accede the Convention, Ukraine has confirmed that it has a free trade agreement with several Contracting Parties, namely the EU, EFTA states, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and Montenegro, thereby complying with this Article.
4. The request should be submitted to the Joint Committee of the Convention for adoption of a Decision inviting Ukraine to accede to the Convention, in accordance with Article 4(3)(b) of the Convention.
5. The position to be taken by the EU within the Joint Committee should be established by the Council