JOINT REPORT TO THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND THE COUNCIL Report on the Generalised Scheme of Preferences covering the period 2018-2019
1. The European Commission published, on 10 February 2020, its third biennial report on the European Union’s (EU) Generalised Scheme of Preferences (GSP). Under the EU’s GSP Regulation, the EU Commission publishes a report every two years which assesses the beneficiary compliance with the GSP criteria.
2. The EU GSP supports economic development in around 70 developing countries by allowing products from those countries to enter the EU under reduced import tariffs. There are three different levels of trade preference arrangements – Standard GSP (which grants tariff reductions for products and encompasses around 66% of tariff lines), GSP+ (a special incentive arrangement for sustainable development and good governance) and Everything But Arms (EBA) (which grants duty-free, quota-free access for all imported products apart from arms and ammunition from Least Developed Countries (LDCs)).
3. The EU’s latest 2020 report on GSP is accompanied by ten Staff Working Documents covering all current GSP+ countries as well as the countries under enhanced monitoring, namely: Bangladesh, Cambodia and Myanmar. These individual documents assess each country’s ratification, reporting and implementation of the 27 international conventions necessary to qualify for GSP+ status. The Working Documents are generally favourable towards the countries’ progress on implementing the conventions although challenges are also highlighted, particularly with the Philippines, Pakistan, Armenia, as well as Bangladesh, Cambodia, and Mynamar, which are under enhanced monitoring for allegations of human rights violations.
- 15 April 2020 Burns-Cash - 139 KB - pdf
- 5949/20 - 784 KB - pdf
- EM 5949/20 - 409 KB - pdf
- JOIN(20)3 - 1021 KB - PDF
- JOIN(20)3 + Add 1 - 730 KB - PDF
- JOIN(20)3 + Add 10 - 871 KB - PDF
- JOIN(20)3 + Add 2 - 805 KB - PDF
- JOIN(20)3 + Add 3 - 635 KB - PDF
- JOIN(20)3 + Add 4 - 623 KB - PDF
- JOIN(20)3 + Add 5 - 849 KB - PDF
- JOIN(20)3 + Add 6 - 794 KB - PDF
- JOIN(20)3 + Add 7 - 1 MB - PDF
- JOIN(20)3 + Add 8 - 854 KB - PDF
- JOIN(20)3 + Add 9 - 697 KB - PDF