European Court of Auditors Annual report on the EU Joint Undertakings, including Fuel Cells and Hydrogen for the financial year 2018.
1. The European Court of Auditors (ECA) has issued an unqualified (“clean”) audit opinion on the annual accounts of all Joint Undertakings (JUs) for the financial year ended 31 December 2018.
2. Within this report, the ECA has audited the accounts of the Fuel Cells and Hydrogen Joint Undertaking (FCH-JU), made up of the financial statements and reports on the implementation of the budget for the financial year ended 31 December 2018, and the legality and regularity of the transactions underlying those accounts.
3. The FCH-JU was established by Council Regulation in May 2008 for a period of 10 years. In May 2014 the lifetime of the FCH-JU was extended until 31st December 2024.
4. The FCH-JU is a public-private partnership that supports research, development and demonstration projects for fuel cell and hydrogen applications. It is active in the fields of transport (cars, buses and refuelling infrastructure) and energy (hydrogen production, distribution and energy storage). The activities of the FCH-JU are jointly funded by the EU and industry/research partners.
5. Membership of the FCH-JU covers the European Union (represented by the Commission – DG RTD), an industry body (Hydrogen Europe), and a research group (Hydrogen Europe Research). The Governing Board is composed of ten members, with representation from across the three groupings. The Governing Board is the main decision-making body of the FCH-JU and supervises the Joint Undertaking’s activities and approves its accounts.