Council Decision (CFSP) 2019/25 amending and updating the list of persons, groups and entities subject to Articles 2, 3 and 4 of Common Position 2001/931/CFSP on the application of specific measures to combat terrorism, and repealing Decision (CFSP) 2018/1084 Council Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/24 implementing Article 2(3) of Regulation (EC) No 2580/2001 on specific restrictive measures directed against certain persons and entities with a view to combating terrorism, and repealing Implementing Regulation (EU) 2018/1071
1. The attached Council Decision and Council Implementing Regulation apply the conclusions of the periodic review of the EU’s counter-terrorism sanctions regime (CP931), and add 3 new listings to the regime.
2. The sanctions regime consists of an asset freeze against the individuals and entities listed under the regime.
3. An Explanatory Memorandum on this issue was last submitted for Parliamentary scrutiny on 5 April 2018. The documents were cleared at the House of Lords EU Select Committee Chairman’s sift on 19 April 2018. The House of Commons European Scrutiny Committee cleared the documents as “not legally or politically important” on 9 May 2018 (ESC 39608 & 39609, 27th Report, Session 2017-19).
4. The Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs is the Minister with overall responsibility for UK policy on the EU’s Common Foreign and Security Policy.
INTEREST OF THE DEVOLVED ADMINISTRATIONS
5. The UK’s Foreign Affairs policy is a reserved matter under the UK’s devolution settlements and no devolved administration interests arise. The devolved administrations have therefore not been consulted in the preparation of this EM.
LEGAL AND PROCEDURAL ISSUES
i. Legal Basis: Article 29 of the Treaty of the European Union for the Council Decision and Article 2(3) of the Council Regulation (EC) no 2580/2001 (principal Council Regulation) for the Council Implementing Regulation.
|Topic||Common Foreign and Security Policy|