COMMUNICATION FROM THE COMMISSION TO THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT, THE COUNCIL, THE EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COMMITTEE AND THE COMMITTEE OF THE REGIONS An EU Strategy to harness the potential of offshore renewable energy for a climate neutral future
1. On the 19 November 2020 the Commission published a communication setting out an EU Strategy to harness the potential of offshore renewable energy for a climate neutral future.
2. The European Green Deal Communication , published 11 December 2019, called for a scaling up of offshore wind energy. As part of this new offshore renewables strategy published on the 19 November 2020, the Commission has set an objective of increasing installed capacity from 12 gigawatts (GW) currently to 60GW of offshore wind by 2030 and that to reach 300GW by 2050.
3. The strategy is a long-term framework for businesses and investors to address barriers and challenges common to all offshore technologies and sea basins. It sets out specific policy solutions adapted to the differing states of development of technology and different regional contexts.
4. The Commission points out that this strategy comes in the context of the NextGenerationEU recovery fund, which will provide an opportunity to leverage public capital to offset potential private offshore investment slow-down due to the COVID-19 crisis.
5. To note, the italicised subheadings below follow the section headings in the strategy.