COMMISSION STAFF WORKING DOCUMENT EGNSS downstream standards development
1. The paper provides a high-level overview of activities being undertaken by the Commission to influence development of new or existing industry standards in priority sectors to facilitate the uptake of both the EU’s Global Navigation Satellite Systems (EGNSS) - Galileo and The European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service (EGNOS ) and (Global Navigation Satellite System) GNSS more generally.
2. The intention is to provide transparency in the work undertaken in these fields which are aligned to the 2016 Space Strategy for Europe “to encourage the uptake of space solutions through standardisation measures” .
3. Prioritised sectors include intelligent transport and mobility, intelligent interconnectivity (location-based services, Internet of Things and connecting to the public administration) and intelligent infrastructures.
4. In the area of aviation, the paper outlines that the European Commission (EC) are influencing European and international standards and practices to include compatibility with Galileo and EGNOS, in addition to carrying out awareness-raising in support of Galileo and EGNOS adoption.
5. For secure autonomous driving the EC are lending their GNSS expertise to the development of standards that would utilise any available secure GNSS signals. In rail the EC are carrying out a cost-benefit analysis to provide evidence for the inclusion of EGNSS services in the European Rail Traffic Management System.